Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Living Water


So today I was doing my devotion, and I realized I was really thirsty. My water bottle was sitting right next to me, but I was being lazy and had decided that I needed to finish before I could take a drink. Let's just say...it was really hard to concentrate after that. All I could think about was how thirsty I was! I struggled though what I was doing for about 5 minutes and just couldn't take it anymore. I took a drink. And, TA-DA! I could concentrate again! After that, I got done in about 10 minutes what could have taken me an hour if I had tried to keep going without quenching my thirst.

Sometimes I find myself in this same situation spiritually. In fact, some days I'm so drained from the stresses of everyday life that I could just collapse right to the floor. Have you ever had one of those days? Or maybe one of those weeks? You've run run run and you've given all you can to comfort everyone else around you and you're to the point where you have nothing left. You're trying to accomplish the smallest task that should only take minutes, but it seems to be taking much longer because you just can't seem to think about anything except your physical and spiritual exhaustion? What do you do in those situations?

One thing that God is teaching me right now is to take a break and take a drink.

One of the names that God is called is "the Spring of Living water" (Jeremiah 2:13; 17:13). And in John 7:37-38, Jesus says "If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him."

It might seem like one more thing to do, but taking a break and taking a drink of Living Water will breathe new life into your soul. And like my water bottle was sitting right next to me, God is right there waiting for you, where ever you are! He wants to rejuvenate you from the inside out quenching your spiritual thirst.


Gracious Heavenly Father,
Thank You for offering You Spring of Living Water for us to drink. Please replenish my soul, and help me always remember to make time to drink from Your never-ending Spring. I know that You alone can quench my every thirst. I love you, Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment